[openstandaarden] America Online heeft het patent op IM...

Mattias Campe mattias.campe at rug.ac.be
Wed Dec 25 23:09:14 CET 2002

Mattias Campe wrote:
> Mattias Campe heeft geschreven:
>
>> ...althans, dat beweren ze op
>> http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1023-978234.html?type=pt&part=msnbc&tag=alert&form=feed&subj=cnetnews
>>  of hoe bepaalde patenten dus écht wel belachelijk opgeworpen worden...
>>
>> (hopelijk heb ik het allemaal goed verstaan, want 'k heb het maar
>> scimmend scannend gelezen, toch ffkes getwijfeld om dit niet op os-fun
>> te posten)
>

> Wat ik eerst al glimlachend postte, blijkt nu een heel stinkend staartje
> te krijgen:
> "On 2002-09-10, the United States Patent and Trademark Office granted a
> patent to AOL covering instant messaging and presence networks offered
> over the Internet."
>
> en verder ook nog
>
> "Recent news articles have reported that the United States Patent and
> Trademark Office has granted a patent to AOL for instant messaging (IM)
> and presence technology. This patent (#6,499,344) would appear to cover
> most existing IM and presence systems and services. Because AOL could at
> any time decide to enforce the patent, its existence could have a
> chilling effect on the growth of IM and presence technology, as well as
> on efforts to define open standards in this area."
>
> The Jabber Software foundation is daar natuurlijk verre van mee opgezet
> en heeft er zelfs speciaal een deel van hun website aan gewijd:
> http://www.jabber.org/aol-patent/

[...]

Op http://www.jabber.org/aol-patent/tech-analysis.php staat als intro
het volgende :D :

"This document provides a preliminary technical analysis of U.S. Patent
6,499,344 as it relates to Jabber technologies (i.e., technologies based
on Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol or XMPP). When the Jabber
community first learned that the United States Patent and Trademark
Office had granted a patent to AOL covering instant messaging and
presence technology, the community (as represented by the Board of
Directors of the Jabber Software Foundation) became concerned that
Jabber technologies might be construed as infringements on AOL's patent.
Fortunately that *seems* not to be the case. Technical evidence for that
conclusion is provided below."

Laten we hopen dat die "seems" een "is" is...

mvg
Mattias Campe