[openstandaarden] [Fwd: [Bxl] Portuguese Post Office swpat for email certification process]

David GLAUDE dglaudemailing at gmx.net
Wed Jul 30 02:44:50 CEST 2003

Hello Belgian activist (and other),

I think the Belgian Certipost will not be happy with this. If they want
to be success-full with that services that seems to work only with IE
(under investigation) they don't want to pay to Portuguese patent. ;-)

I was thinking that Portugal had almost no software patent granted...
now we discover this one (it might be a business method but how to
distinguish them from software patent?).

Since in Belgium postal services are still a public services owned by
the Belgian state, we could use this threat to bring pressure on Belgian
position on Swpat.

We could use FUD on "La Poste/De Post" to introduce reflexion at the
federal level to get a better position on swpat at the concil.

Don't forget that winning (if ever we do) in Parliament is just one
step, it is a co-decision matter, so we need to convince the 15 member
state governement too (they have to vote the same text). Do not stop
your lobbying to Parliament... please.

David GLAUDE